RDA Committees can provide a range of stakeholders, potential investors and policy-makers with a better understanding of each region – including strengths, challenges, needs and strategic priorities. This will require development of a robust evidence base and analysis of key regional characteristics, including access to a variety of data sources.
To support RDAs in developing their evidence base, the Department has compiled a number of key economic and social indicators, including employment, education and population characteristics. This data is available at a RDA, national, state and local government level and can be accessed below.
These indicators are compiled from publications from the Australian Bureau of Statistics and other providers of official statistics. RDAs should also review the accompanied explanatory notes prior to downloading the data. Regular updates to these data sets will be provided as new data sources become available.
These data sets are not the only source of data for an evidence base, and RDAs are encouraged to continue to source a variety of additional information.
Budget 2018-19 Regional Australia – A Stronger Economy Delivering Stronger Regions
- https://infrastructure.gov.au/department/statements/2018_2019/ministerial-statement/ and
Regional Australia Institute
- [IN]SIGHT: Australia’s Regional Competitiveness Index http://www.regionalaustralia.org.au/home/tools-and-products/insight/
- Great Small Cities Data Tool http://www.regionalaustralia.org.au/home/great-small-cities-data-tool/
Bureau of Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Economics
- Statistics https://bitre.gov.au/statistics/index.aspx
- Databases https://bitre.gov.au/databases/index.aspx
Australian Bureau of Statistics
- Building Approvals, Australia, Jul - 2018 8731.0 http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/8731.0Main+Features1Jul%202018?OpenDocument
- Australia: Region Data Sets http://stat.abs.gov.au/itt/r.jsp?RegionSummary®ion=0&dataset=ABS_REGIONAL_ASGS2016&geoconcept=ASGS_2016&measure=MEASURE&datasetASGS=ABS_REGIONAL_ASGS2016&datasetLGA=ABS_REGIONAL_LGA2017®ionLGA=LGA_2017®ionASGS=ASGS_2016
- Population and People
- Economy and Industry
- Education and Employment
- Health and Disability
- Family and Community
- Land and Environment
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) https://www.aihw.gov.au/
Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute https://www.ahuri.edu.au/