2012 Sustainable Energy and Innovation Expo
Published: 12th September 2012
RDA Midwest Gascoyne (Western Australia) recently participated in the 2012 Sustainable Energy and Innovation Expo (SEIE2012) that was held in Geraldton during National Science Week 11—19 August 2012.
Inspiring Australia Program provided the main funding support for the event. Other partners included RDA Midwest Gascoyne, Northern Agricultural Catchments Council, City of Greater Geraldton and the Geraldton Community Bank (Bendigo Bank).
SEIE2012 was a celebration of innovative, sustainable practices across the region, a glimpse of future potential and called on the community to create, innovate, connect, engage, inspire and explore the wonder of regional and sustainable science.
The community responded with over 800 participants across the week, overwhelming positive feedback and a hunger for more sustainability information for local projects.
A highlight of the expo was the sustainability and innovation awards held on 17 August. RDA Midwest Gascoyne Executive Officer Alan Bradley was on the judging panel which covered the following nine categories:
- Science Engagement Excellence
- Sustainable Education
- Sustainable Food Production
- Social Entrepreneurial Innovation
- Innovation Implementation
- Cultural Sustainability
- Natural Resource Management Leadership
- Sustainability Leadership, and
- Carbon Pollution Reduction
The awards were presented to participants by national leaders in renewable energy and climate change.
The expo also included an exhibition on 18 August with 36 exhibitors showcasing sustainable and innovative goods and services over the following areas:
- energy and water efficiency, thermal heating/ cooling and low power lighting
- hybrid vehicles and electric bicycles
- solar power, solar air-conditioning, solar hot water and wind power
- natural resource management programs, native seedlings and garden guides
- sustainability education, healthy lifestyles, homes and bodies
- living smart programs and earth friendly products
- social innovation and small business services
- sustainable buildings, green walls and roofs, and
- climate change adaptation and mitigation opportunities.
For more information about the 2012 Sustainable Energy and Innovation Expo, visit the Sustainable Energy and Innovation website.
For more information, visit the RDA Midwest Gascoyne website.
(Pictured above) Winners of the Sustainability and Innovation Awards, back row: Alan Bradley RDA Midwest Gascoyne Executive Officer, Melissa Barrett HitNitz46, Gaby Bracks HitNitz46, Scott Phillips Sun City Solar, Catherine Belcher WA Museum Geraldton, Shelley Spriggs Northern Agricultural Catchments Council, Leonie Boddington Yamaji Language Centre, Ross Oakley Bundiyarra Aboriginal Community, Ann Larson Pollinators, Mark Chadwick City of Greater Geraldton. Front row: Julie Firth Drylands Permaculture Nursery and Research Farm, Jenny Allen Geraldton Regional Community Education Centre, Carolyn Pegler Geraldton Regional Community Education Centre and Andrew Outhwaite We Are Arising.